View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I guess it was just a matter of it being far too expensive to retro-fit & re-configure, actually house the requirements of modern day amenities like luxury suites, media facilities, extensive concessions & so on & so forth. "The Old Red Barn" as it was affectionately known open in 1927, and ya, probably couldve been brought into the 21st Century. I certainly advocated (strongly) that MLSE do just that with the Gardens in Toronto however, the realities were such (NBA team etc) that it simply wasnt tenable, though even still, where theres a will theres always a way. I much preferred the eccentricities of the older buildings; Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium, The Olympia, Montreals Forum and so on. Sad passings all. Here are some pictures from the old Hamilton Ontario Forum on Barton Street. Built in 1913, taken down in the 70's. Once home to the NHL Tigers, various Junior & Senior clubs over the years. Gives you an idea as to why there gone really. Check out the proximity of the support beams to the boards, then think Chara's hit on Pacioretty. Not pretty.

Old Hamilton Ontario Forum;

Red Wings' Gordie Howe and Hamiltonian Murray Oliver visit the Forum.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote