View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I grew up in Edmonton in the mid 90s, and Jason Arnott definitely became the local whipping boy for the Oilers' failures. A couple of key incidents come to mind, which unfortunately defined Arnott's tenure with the Oilers:

1) After one game which the Oilers lost with very little effort against the Winnipeg Jets, while Arnott was one of the highest paid Oilers, he said, "I just wasn't in it." That quote (paraphrased) seemed to rub a lot of Oiler fans the wrong way. He just did not seem to fit the ethos of what Edmontonians wanted in a hockey player.
2) I remember waking up one morning and seeing the front page of the Edmonton Journal having an article about Jason Arnott having an essential illegitimate child. It was behaviour befitting a petulant, immature man, and the Journal that day painted him as such. That seemed like a fatal blow to Arnott's time in Edmonton, and he was never viewed the same way again by many Oiler fans that I know.
Oh noes, an illegitimate child! Call the church elders!

Are they really this backwards thinking in Edmonton that a illegitimate child determines a players career. No wonder players are leaving town. lol

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote