View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Huffman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Any team can beat any team if things just fall into place. Great goaltending alone can do it in a single game. Based on the rosters, I can honestly say that I'd take Russia 9 times out of 10 to beat USA. Can you say the same for the US, or are you predicting a huge upset. Calling a US win over Russia anything less than an upset is seriously poor evaluation of each squad.

As good as I think Canada will be in a lockout year, Russia is the favorite this year. They are more veteran, have 9 returning players from a team that lost the Gold medal in OT, have maybe the two best goalies in the tournament, Yakupov wasn't first overall for nothing and the tournament is on home, international sized ice.

So yes, I think it is bold to not only predict that USA will finish ahead of them, but that then they will also blow the QF in the same year.

The way I see it...

1A Russia
1B Canada

3A Sweden
3B Finland
5 USA
6 Czech
That same team lost twice against Sweden while being heavily outplayed for the most part. The Russian teams have also often been terrible on the U18 level the last couple of years while Canada, Sweden and especially USA have excelled. Not saying the Russians have a worse team than any of those countries but I would not say they clearly have a better team either.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote