View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
It was a definite anomaly. Typically, Jagr gets 3.99 secondary assists for every 6.01 primary assists while Selanne gets 3.35 secondary assists for every 6.65 primary assists.

In an average distribution, Jagr gets around 29 and Selanne gets around 20 in 1999. And if that's the case, Selanne is 11 points back with having missed 6 more games. Actual quality of play is closer than the oft-cited 20-point number. But people really like to talk about Stu Barns and Martin Straka.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...14&postcount=1
This is just me, but I have never really bought into the whole "secondary assists" thing. Generally the star players create the offense which more often than not will give them the primary assist. But if a guy has three assists in a game and they are all "secondary assists" did he still not have a good game? I have seen a lot of hockey games where the first pass was the best play. And I've seen it the other way around where a player dumps it in, another one grabs it and passes to the goal scorer. But that being said, you are still doing something right if you are getting an assist, regardless.

(And come on, Jagr had no elite talent on that 1998-'99 team, let's face facts. It was a brilliant season and a year where I finally stopped saying "well maybe Lindros or Kariya are as good")

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote