View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 10:49 AM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
So what exactly is the PA fighting for? How does PA explain the lost 1.89B to it's members?

How does those "brothers" explain the fact they will lose 1.89B and most likely end up getting a worse deal than they are currently offered?
There is no guarantee that you are going to win. I know one thing; the players have never been in better hands than they are with Don Fehr. They have never been better informed: the Fehrs are known for communication and inclusiveness: the players knew what they were doing when they hired him. They were rolled and taken to the cleaners in 04-05 and wanted the very best there is to avoid the same scenario.

Management has spent months trying to undermine Fehr, sew dissension in the membership and create end-around plans to circumvent him. They thought the players would roll over just as last time. They underestimated him big time: a major part of the problem here. They didn't do their due diligence and realize that they were dealing with a man who learned from the great Marvin Miller and with roots in the American labor movement of the mid-20th Century.

Fehr will protect players rights to the bitter end. He is the best there is at what he does. Of course there are some players who disagree; in a union of 700+ players that is normal. At least the free speech of the players is not stifled. They can say what they want without worrying about million dollar fines.

Management must recognize that a deal will not be done without Don Fehr. Unless they come to terms with that and stop these end-arounds and attempts at undermining him, we will lose another season. It is only when they realize that they are not going to destroy the NHLPA (their underlying hope and desire from day one) and man up and face him as an equal, that we will get back to hockey. Until then, this sport is on the road to oblivion. I have been a hockey fan for over 50 years. I am a hardcore fan, an ex-season ticket holder for the Rangers, a hockey dad who got up at 3:30 on Sunday morning so my son could be on the ice at 5:30 AM. I go to minor league games and rarely miss a Ranger game on TV. As a kid growing up in the Bronx around 1960, I would strain to hear, if atmospheric conditions were right for my radio, Foster Hewitt from Toronto and Danny Gallivan from Montreal. I love this sport. To see what is happening is a physical and mental pain. This sport and league is in mortal danger. Management must realize this and treat the Fehrs as equal. They must rethink their failed policies before it is to late.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote