View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 11:07 AM
zz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I tried a Windows Phone recently and I must admit I came away very impressed. They really are slick little devices but I don't think I could switch to them until they get a better ecosystem in place, it's the main thing holding them back. As for right now though I share your opinion that Android is the one to beat.
Microsoft admitted Win Phone 7 was pretty much DOA. They knew the future was Win 8 when Win 7 launched, they knew Win 7 devices couldn't support Win 8, they knew the entire development workflow between Win 7 and Win 8 was going to be radically different, but they needed to get in the game quickly with something, at least to keep OEM relationships with phone makers. So early adopters like myself got kinda hosed.

I've looked at Win 8 on a Nokia Lumia 920 though, and it's really great. Nokia maps fixed the issues I had with Bing / MS maps. The app market selection issue should get resolved. The mere fact that Win 8 RT desktop apps can be moved quickly to Win 8 phone should get some developer support since Win desktop is bound to sell zillions of licenses regardless what Apple sheeps spit out.

Bing still blows though. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
btw...how are you liking Amazon cloud service, is it that reliable? What about it's uploading system, last time I checked it was a pain in the ass to upload if you had a really large music collection. That's still the main reason I never migrated to Amazon or Google's music cloud services. These days I just use Spotify for general listening.
Subscription services are great. Whether it's MS' SkyDrive Music or whatever it is, or Spotify, you just can't beat the convenience. But I'm cheap and don't listen to a ton of music. So uploaded the 30 albums I listen to most often to Amazon (I don't remember it being all that painful), and I've been buying all new music on Amazon MP3 (I only buy a 3 or 4 CDs per year). If you like variety though, subscription is definitely the way to go.

I tried Microsoft's music service for a month (they offer a free 30 day trial), it was pretty great. $10 / mo, great selection. I just don't listen to enough music to justify the expense. But like I said, I'm cheap.