View Single Post
12-08-2012, 01:59 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This is just me, but I have never really bought into the whole "secondary assists" thing. Generally the star players create the offense which more often than not will give them the primary assist. But if a guy has three assists in a game and they are all "secondary assists" did he still not have a good game? I have seen a lot of hockey games where the first pass was the best play. And I've seen it the other way around where a player dumps it in, another one grabs it and passes to the goal scorer. But that being said, you are still doing something right if you are getting an assist, regardless.

(And come on, Jagr had no elite talent on that 1998-'99 team, let's face facts. It was a brilliant season and a year where I finally stopped saying "well maybe Lindros or Kariya are as good")
I would love it if people would read my posts and respond to what I am actually saying as opposed to browsing for key words and reacting.

I'm not saying that secondary assists are irrelevant. I'm saying that there were more than expected (a result of Martin Straka's abnormally high shooting percentage?) and that they prove Jagr was not alone. Even if there wasn't a marquee name out there with him, there were at least two competent offensive players touching the puck after Jagr on 39 occasions. That's 10 more secondary assists from what was typically expected from Jagr's career assist distribution. It isn't a federal indictment to say that on 10 occasions in an 82-game season, the bounces went the right way. That's one better than expected bounce every 8 games. One pass from Kip Miller to Martin Straka that Miller would typically flub. One shot from Straka that would typically go wide.

I feel like I'm Kevin Costner in Bull Durham, explaining this.

Jagr: 44 Primary, 39 Secondary; Expected Secondary: 29
Selanne: 40 Primary, 20 Secondary (6 fewer games); Expected Secondary: 20
Forsberg: 40 Primary, 27 Secondary (3 fewer games); Expected Secondary: 23

Until someone can explain to me the difference between a secondary assist and a good first pass that results in a scoring opportunity on which one of the other two players does not capitalize, I'm not going to believe that they're entirely free from scrutiny when they're unusually high.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote