12-08-2012, 03:06 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
Term limits still are needed

Flyers and other big market teams would be able to throw 12 yr deals with huge $$$ still at small market stars
The length of the deal is not the problem. In some cases, it would be easier for a small market team to offer more money and spread it out. It's the annual hit they can't handle. This just means you will see larger shorter term deals that they can not compete with. With cap circumvention you had low annual cap hits with high initial salary amounts. That is where they lost out. The PA's proposal gets rid of this. It's not going to make it any easier for them. Big market teams will still be able to pay guys 8 million per year, ect.

Maybe a small market team would be able to offer more money over additional years, now that option is gone. They have to compete dollar to dollar over five years. How do you think that will play out? I'd rather see more options, at least 7 years with the percent cap on the high dollar amount. I also like the longer term for own UFA's.

I could also see FA's pretty much offered the same deal by several teams. Then it would come down to preference of location. I don't know if that bodes well for a Columbus or Phoenix.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 12-08-2012 at 03:15 PM.