View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 03:09 PM
TheNudge

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Interestingly enough, scouts at the time were aware of how talented Pavel Bure was, and after he was drafted, many felt he was the most talented player selected that year. The issue was that nobody except Vancouver knew he was eligible, plus the Soviet factor made it questionable whether he would ever play in the NHL. Here's an excerpt from a Pittsburgh Gazette article written on June 15, 1989:

http://www.pbfc.org/oldnews.html

Teams apparently knew how talented he was, but the "Soviet factor" kept him from being drafted in the first round.

Based on how the media and teams perceived him at the time, I think he would have been drafted first overall if the Soviet factor were not an issue and other teams knew Pavel was eligible to be drafted. This is based on knowledge at the time, disregarding what we now know about such players as Nik Lidstrom. If we were to redraft based on what we know now, I would place him second overall, potentially first overall. If Pavel were healthy and had played a full career, he would have, without question, been regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, let alone the '89 draft class. A team that wanted immediate success would have picked him instantly.

Had Steve Smith not knocked him into the end boards in 1996 and caused the initial ACL tear, Pavel may have lasted much longer in the NHL. Pavel was destined for all-time greatness and still stands as one of the greats despite a short career. He had achieved 400 goals in 2002 and despite being plagued with knee problems in 2003, he still continued to produce in his final year. If he had not held out in 1998 and had been healthy enough to continue his career, he would have reached 500 goals before the 2004 lockout.

In 2005, he would have been a player aged 34, and may have had six years left in his career. He would likely have dominated in the new NHL due to the removal of clutching and grabbing, and with only ~250 goals, post-lockout, needed to pass Brett Hull for third all-time in NHL goal scoring, I think he would have done it. Injuries robbed him of what could have been a spectacular career.

Another thing I must mention is that Pavel had no legitimate first-line players to play alongside in Vancouver. He played with a revolving door of players including Greg Adams, Murray Craven, Geoff Courtnall, among many others. With a legitimate first-line playmaker, Pavel perhaps would have eclipsed 70 goals in a single season, and could have accomplished even more in his time in the NHL. I think it's fair to say he was the most talented player available in the 1989 draft. It's a shame he isn't recognized that way.

Lidstrom is by far the best defencement in the last 25 years or even longer. Also Fedorov is one of the best 2 way player to ever play this game. Fedorov could of also been drafted as a Defencement, Sergei was such a clutch performer in the playoff and a all round that I rather have him over Bure anytime of the week. Like I said I rather a player that would score when needed, play defence when needed, fore check when needed then a flashy player. What did Bure win except the maurice Richard Trophy ??? Fedorov won

1993-94

NHL

Hart Memorial Trophy

1993-94

NHL

Frank J. Selke Trophy

1993-94

NHL

Lester B. Pearson Trophy

1995-96

NHL

Frank J. Selke Trophy

I also forgot he won 3 Cup with the Wings.

Also did you know that Fedorov once payed 14 M in a single season !!! Yep that the record for the highest paid player in a single season.

TheNudge is offline   Reply With Quote