12-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
Insurance has changed from what I heard

Only will cover 5 years going forward

And how about the Preds ,, What choice did they have when the Flyers tried to steal there star player with BS front loaded offer? Its about leveling playing field as much as it has to do with insurance

Thus why 5 yr UFA , 7 yr own guy makes alot of sense

And just because a few owners are giving out outlanding deals doesn't mean it should be acceptable ,, And they cant control it outside CBA because that would be called collusion

And the top tier players saying this is about the mid tier low tier guys is BS ,, Its about the stars and they want to be able to continue to front load longterm deals and get big bonus money upfront... That is why NHLPA wants 25% variance not 5% variance on contracts
Star players will ALWAYS be paid top dollar. Nothing about this process is about the star players. If it was, why are non-star players the ones speaking out more often, and attending a lot of the meetings.

They want the variance on contracts so they can still fit mid tier players on the roster. Star players will always make the most they can get, but if theres no room for mid tier players under the cap, teams wont sign them. Just look at the NBA, 4 guys make all the money, the rest are minimum guys.

I don't understand why teams wouldnt want to sign their best players to long term contracts. If Nashville could only sign Weber to a 5yr contract, he will be gone in 5 years. I hope star players in small markets only sign 5 year deals and leave town after its done. That would show them.