Old
12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Facts:
-Both the NHL and NHLPA have expressed a desire to count salary in the minors.
Do you have a link saying the NHLPA wants that? As it doesn't make much sense to me. Also, teams like the NYR that have Redden in the minors are unlikely to be for that. But none of this means anything unless the new CBA actually changes the rule.

Either way, because
Quote:
-Luongo presumably has competitive desire like anyone in the league. None of us are in a position to comment on when that runs out.
Do you think he'd want to play out the end of his career riding the bus, regardless of if his cap hit still counts? I doubt it, but it seems like your own argument works against you here.

All I said was that Luongo will be paid much less so there is much less incentive for him to play. But I suppose it does make sense that he would purposely force himself on a team when he knows he's no longer wanted, as that seems absolutely consistent with how he's conducted himself so far.[sarcasm]

Quote:
-Luongo's contract could presumably last longer than the new CBA... so none of us are in a position to comment on the exact options associated with his long term deal.
So because no one knows anything just assume the contract is bad. In my opinion GMs are smart enough to realize that there are enough options available that it's virtually impossible for there to be no options left.

Quote:
Furthermore, none of us are in a position to predict how or if his play will decline over the life of the deal. He could have substantial regression in year 2, or not at all. At the end of the day, it doesn't make sense for a team that has to look at the long term to pay a huge price to take such a risk.
Yeah, and Kadri might bust, Kulemin remain a 7 goal scorer, etc, etc. Risk cuts both ways. It's not like any of the offers have included any surefire impact players for us.