View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
There is a serious lack of gritty players in the Habs prospects list and no matter of skill will win alone in the AHL/NHL in this era.Physical play has won over skill more often than not in the last decade.The team with the most depth and physicality with size outlast the smaller teams that get worn down through four rounds of playoffs and an 82 game schedule.Hamilton seems to have a very good mix of players in their team but are faced with too many teams loaded up with NHLers.The CHL has plenty of players of that ilk besides Curtis Lazar and many of them play in the Q as I've pointed out earlier.Nick Cousins of Sault Ste.Marie seems to have a grasp on the Shayne Corson type player we need as does Lazar.
I watched a couple periods of the Edmonton Oil Kings/ Calgary Hitmen last night and I don't get the Lazar thing. He's okay but not what I'm looking for in a top 15 pick. One of the players that caught my eye was Jake Virtanen (2014 draft), if we want someone with size that's a player I'd be interested in. Reminds me of a young Kesler type, like the way he skates and playing the power forward type of game seems to come naturally to him.

Renegade Styling has had his eye on him for a while, here is an excerpt from his blog on Jake:

17. Jake Virtanen - If someone is going to challenge Jones for rookie of the year, I would predict it would be this kid. The Calgary Hitmen rookie does a little bit of everything and is poised for a strong rookie season after being the 1st overall pick in the WHL bantam draft in 2011. He's surrounded by talent and will definitely catch your eye when you watch him. I've seen him play a few times and am very excited to see more of him, especially live.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...n-2012-13.html