View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
You'll end up the better team if you trade Luongo or Schneider per that logic, but that still doesn't address asset value.

Schneider could have been dealt last deadline. The team could have been better off for it as they would have upgraded at forward. Gillis didn't do it. The reason: asset value out does not equal asset value in. IMO, that's why he held onto Schneider. Not team need, but asset value.

Loosing a deal is about assets in vs. assets out, not about the overall team dynamic. As soon as you send the best player out in the deal, you are likely never going to see an equivalent impact player coming back. Even if there are prospects involved. Odds are stacked against you.

I continue to agree with Canucker and Tiranis on this point, as I've seen it too many times in the NHL not to put stock into it.
Schneider retained less value on the open market, having only played one season as a backup a year prior. While Gillis may have received offers it is not unfathomable to believe they were significantly less than his expectations for Schneider, thus a trade at that juncture would be less profitable than to wait. Likewise, we had just challenged for the cup and one could reasonable assume our chance of repeating were highly probable, allowing Gillis leeway to maximize Schneider's value.

Perhaps, although personally I believe this perspective a bit too black and white myself. If Luongo brought us Lupul+, the only thing preventing that from being a solid trade is Lupul regressing, otherwise both teams benefit.