View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 05:47 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I wasn't being condescending. I even stated "with all due respect".

Sorry you took it that way. I mean what I said, its difficult to carry on a conversation if people think these two instances are similar in anyway. Even in your response you're trying to make a comparable about danger in the two cities? C'mon. Downtown Detroit is one of the worst places on the continent to be in.

I wasn't flaming, name calling, nothing. You're the one now calling me out on this so I suggest you relax.

Its a discussion, no harm, no foul.

You want to discuss this topic. Sure, you know I'll usually respectfully answer questions and debate.

I think if I find anything slightly aggravating its the notion that irresponsible and deplorable badly managed cities like Detroit and Quebec City are so often in these discussions being brought up as models of how or what we should do.

First and foremost I'm a fiscal conservative. I like that I happen to live in a city that is prudent about these things. But really thats the reason you don't hear about Edmonton going bankrupt. Right?

ps you called Edmonton's downtown a "hellhole". I don't much like it myself but you're looking for a reaction saying stuff like that. Go on C2E and say something like that there and see what occurs.
Generally when someone starts something "with all due respect" or "I don't mean to offend" they mean the exact opposite. If you aren't one of those people, I apologize, it's just, as I'm sure your aware, your writing style can come off as very condescending.

My "hellhole" comment about Edmonton is a very common concern with people from other areas outside of Edmonton that come into the city for various reason and on occasion use the Greyhound to get there. I personally will not drive on 63 during the winter, so if I want to go to Edmonton, I take the bus. I have spent time with friends all over the city of Edmonton. I have never been harassed or bothered anywhere else in the city except within the area near the Greyhound station and the Baccarat. I know 3 people that have been mugged in that area, including one guy who was stabbed when he was mugged.

The downtown area needs revitalization. An arena would be just one of many things that could be added to help out mind you. I don't think just one thing will bring people there. But if you have the Arena, plus some nice restaurants and bars. Maybe even an art gallery and small theater (not movie) in the area as well. Those things will bring people to the downtown area, especially those coming from out of town, who now just book it for the River Cree.