View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
For the most part yes but we are talking about Coffey here and it's not like he was anywhere near the best defesnive Dman on his team either.
Who is saying that he was???

Quote:
I'll judge players on what they actually did, not what they could have done.
Coffey DID play better defensively in the Canada Cups and in the playoffs though. So he DID actually do it.

Quote:
That's great but where is the context?

Who else was on that unit?

Which Dman shadowed Forseberg

Was Coffey ever used this way again is was it a 1 time 6 game thing?

How does 1-3-4 in 6 GP at ES match up with the rest of Joe's career?

Other top playoff performers during the same time?

The observation was thrown out there but there isn't a heck of a lot to conclude but I would venture that most superstar's ES line in the playoffs is well below a PPG.
Sakic had 14 points in the other 16 games at even strength that year.

Quote:
I don't have a horse in the race here.

Don't assume that because you approach your threads to promote or diminish a player that others do as well.
********!

Quote:
I try to look at as many factors as possible because I'm actually not set in my ways here and compile the information to make a decision.

I do know that the level of competition and circumstances in each and every year is different though and sometimes perfect storms are created, like Pronger's Hart win.

If I only cared about putting Lidstrom in the most positive light I would say something like "Lidstrom competed against A Hart winner for his Norris trophies while Bourque didn't" but I wouldn't make that statement because it's absurd and inaccurate and misleading.

A further note to Al only getting Norris recognition in 87 and not 88, it's based on a false reputation on his age 21 season IMO, something that took Al too long to shake and he was a much better overall player throughout his career than his Norris voting stats give him credit for IMO.
That would prolly be because Bourque WAS pretty much a Hart winner

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote