View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 07:15 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Willing to negotiate. Both Fehr and Bettman have pretty much drawn a line in the sand. At least we don't have to worry about Fehr next time around but Bettman?
"Pretty much drawn a line in the sand" sounds more like it's about the tone of negotiations than the content. Gary Bettman has done anything but draw a line in the sand substantively. Like clockwork, every two weeks he brings forward another offer, more favorable to the players, whether the players make one or not. It's basically textbook negotiation strategy.

If you dislike the way his actions come across, however, I think as much of that is spin as anything. The same offer the NBA gave their players last summer is suddenly an "insult," even though it puts 50% halfway between 43 and 57. The NHL said "take it or leave it" on an offer when they were in fact quoted as saying they were willing to tweak the deal, especially the "make whole" provision, which represents the entire financial gulf they're arguing over. I don't think Gary Bettman has negotiated obstinately. In fact, I don't think Don Fehr has really negotiated obstinately, either - except in his insistence of delinkage, which neither makes political nor financial sense. The only difference is that Don Fehr has cost his side money by having a bad negotiation strategy, and that's why this is so frustrating. If the PA were just negotiating to get the best deal they could, it'd have been done in October.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote