View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Leviathan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Here's my take on the increase in players getting exceptional status and applying for it: I'm all for it. I don't see any reason to put arbitrary guide lines like having to be a generational prospect or only letting a player receive it every few years so it doesn't lose it's luster. I don't care about these things. If the players are good enough to excel in junior hockey, that's where they should be. No reason for these guys to waste a year in AAA.
I don't think that's part of the calculation really, but I could be wrong. I feel like those theories are something that get made up on this board. The OHL granted Ekblad and McDavid exceptional player status to years in a row, so obviously they weren't worried they would look like they were opening the floodgates. I could see the number of players getting the status going up if anything, as kids are growing bigger and stronger earlier these days. Offseason training has a big part to that, as well as advanced nutrition, etc. I could see a time where there are a bunch of players who get the status every year or, and I'm going about out on a limb here, maybe they lower the age requirements eventually. Part of the reason this could happen is because the exceptional player status thing is a big deal for the teams with the first pick that year, and it could get political for the OHL brass to be hand picking the top picks every year.

Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote