Thread: KHL Expansion
View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
Düsseldorfer EG and Red Bull München are the two teams with the lowest fan base compared to the size of any DEL participant's home town.

I mean KHL could try to get them into their league but do they want empty arenas? I mean Düsseldorf isn't even able to get more than 8,000 spectators into their arena during derbies against their archrivals from Cologne (and 30% of them are from Cologne).
I agree with you it's safer to go with teams that are already selling out to huge crowds, and you obviously also know the hockey fanbase landscape in Germany better than I do. But it's probably hard to say what impact the actual joining the KHL would have in those cities. Take Medvescak, for example. Prior to them entering EBEL, no one imagined they'd be getting crowds they're getting now, and the attendance at their games was extremely poor. Granted, the IHL they played in a couple of seasons before entering EBEL was much weaker than DEL is now, but even so, Alba, Jesenice and even Olimpija drew better crowds. And Medvescak isn't an artifical club by any means (they have their tradition, although the players they rely on there are mostly foreigners and naturalized Croatians), but that surge in crowd attendance was, for someone, who followed the league quite mind-boggling. Maybe a similar thing could happen with DEG and/or Red Bull München. Or do you think that's impossible?