View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
And if Gillis waits until the season starts, any of the following teams might feel more pressured to make the playoffs/cup run.

Chicago
Toronto
Tampa Bay(If Lindback gets lit up without two franchise defensemen in front of him)
Edmonton
Washington(if Holtby is incapable of being a starter)

Heck, even a Winnipeg fan said he'd be interested in Luongo at a decent price. Teams will be more inclined to go after a sure thing if their gambles in net don't pay off and they need to find results. Obviously there's a good chance that many of these goaltending situations resolve themselves. But for the ones that don't, the pressure will be all the greater.

It's a gamble, but it's far too early to say Gillis blew it. I'd recommend waiting until a deal actually happens before passing judgement. Personally I think Gillis made the right decision. Only time and hindsight may prove him wrong.
Tampa Bay isn't going to just scrap everything if Lindback struggles. If Holtby struggles, Neuvirth goes back in. Edmonton has Dubnyk, and they can always sell the "rebuilding" angle even if the team struggles.

That would leave Toronto and Chicago. And that's all well and good, if it remains a one-goalie marketplace and both teams need a goalie. So that's still banking on a couple of other occurrences happening, and also hoping that no one else decides to move a goalie as well.

Yes, I think Gillis blew his best chance. It would take something extreme and unforeseen to change that.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote