View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
posts like this are so obnixious.

You are basically guarenteeing that he will be better than Giroux, Crosby, Stamkos, Kopitar, Toews, McDavid, MacKinnon, Seguin, Nugent Hopkins, Tavares. All those players will in around there prime the same time as Galchenyuk.

He is a very good prospect but guys like him come around in the draft almost every year.
He said Galchenyuk will be a top 5 center in the league. Where did you read he'd guarantee he'd be better than all those guys? Besides, it's not unreasonable to think a 3rd overall pick could end up as one of the best centers in the league. Here is the list of the first 3 centers drafted in the last few years.

2005: Crosby(1st), Gilbert Brule(6th), Anze Kopitar(11th)

2006: Jordan Staal(2nd), Jonathan Toews(3rd), Nicklas Backstrom(4th)

2007: Kyle Turris(3rd), Zach Hamil(8th), Logan Couture(9th)

2008: Steven Stamkos(1st), Colin Wilson(7th), Josh Bailey(9th)

2009: John Tavares(1st), Matt Duchene(3rd), Evander Kane(4th)

2010: Tyler Seguin(2nd), Ryan Johansen(4th), Jeff Skinner(7th)

Looking at the centers drafted in the top 3, all of them are high quality. Ignoring first overalls which is nowadays almost a guranteed star, we got: Kopitar, Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Duchene, Kane, Seguin and Skinner who are all really good centers and most of them were either close to the top 5, in the top 5 or have a high chance of getting in it in the future. It really isn't outlandish to think Galchenyuk could be in a conversation with those guys in a few years.

I'm not guaranteeing it. I'd be extremely happy if he ever develops into a top 5 center, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it happens. That's what a 3rd overall can do.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote