Old
12-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ig13ig View Post
Now, my analysis of Ryan O'Rielly:

I think that the Avs, while have a great talent in RoR, are overating him quite a bit.
a) He is unsigned.
b) He has only had one good season. Its not like he has been a consistant producer all his career.
c) His choice to take a 2 year contract is a potential problem whether anyone wants to admit it or not. You don't see any other unsigned RFA's signing multiyear deals in other leagues just because a contract wasnt hammered out before the lockout.
My analysis of your analysis.

He has had three good seasons in the NHL. He was a third line defensive center as an 18-20 year old and as a 20-21 year old he started getting a more offensive role. At the age of 21 he was top 30 in center scoring, led the league in takeaways, is very good in the faceoff circle and was 14th in Selke voting. He deserved more votes for that one, but it's one of those awards where you have to pay your dues for lots of years to get votes. He'll be a Selke finalist soon enough.

The contract situation isn't as dramatic as you want to believe. The reason a contract wasn't "hammered out before the lockout" was because both parties agreed to wait until a new CBA was in place over a month before the CBA expired. It's not like they negotiated feverishly and ran out of time. They wanted to see what the new CBA would look like.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote