View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 03:16 AM
  #78
Alesle
Registered User
 
Alesle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
The 5 year limit on contracts will affect 90% of the players.

The top 10% will get max contracts.

Instead of 120 million over 13 years you will see more 60 million over 5 years.

This will affect the other 90% huge.
I'm not sure I agree with your premises. Sure, not having back diving deals will decrease the cap space for '90%' of the players. However, if I was a player I would be more interested in the dollars I was paid than the cap space that could be allocated to me. The current back diving contracts takes up a large portion of the actual dollars paid to players, with yearly salaries in the range of $10-14 M. With shorter contract limits I would actually expect the top '10%' players to get lower yearly salaries (though higher cap hits), increasing the share of available money for the remaining '90%' of the players when compared to the last CBA.

tl;dr: The remaining '90%' might increase their salaries with shorter contract limits.

Alesle is offline