View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 03:32 AM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Well I voiced my opinion about the U of M in the draft thread. I think it's among the worst run programs in the NCAA. For having their pick of the litter of every single MN player they should have a bit more success to show for it. I don't think they develop players well.

That said, the gaffes Skjei made tonight were not the result of coaching. That's on him. I just hope he can find a way to correct them.
They have a poor reputation, no? Always have in recent years unless I'm mistaken.

I didn't see tonights game, but Skjei is everything I want in a defenseman. He's huge, skates like the wind and has very impressive hockey IQ. There aren't defensemen in the game today that have all 3 of these aspects and are unsuccessful. I've watched Skjei and while I don't quite see the McDonagh-skating comparisons (one poster made a John Carlson analogy, which I think makes much more sense) I see exactly what makes Girardi, Staal and McDonagh thrive. They're geniuses on the ice and are mobile to some degree. I had no knowledge of Brady before the draft, but when I read his scouting report I knew we had a future NHL player. Whether he's a Ranger or not, he will make the show and have some success. USA would be making a huge mistake leaving him off of their roster. He's 100% capable of handling the competition. Mike Rielly's (just one example) offense looks good on paper but he cannot play as important as a role of Skjei. USA thrived on their mobile, defensively capable defensemen the year they won the tournament. Fowler was a stud defensively in the WJC in 2010, as was Carlson. Lashoff made a lasting impression as well. That's how you win.