Old
12-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianGoaltender View Post
Canadian Press, September 21, 1956

Lumley then apparently left training camp briefly because of a contract dispute before returning, signing a contract with Chicago, and reporting to the AHL.

If you really put a heavy emphasis on games played I guess that would be important. I don't though. And you are way underselling Worsley's games played record as a starter in New York. From 1954-55 to 1962-63, Worsley played in 532 regular season games, just 4 behind Jacques Plante over the same period and 39 more than Terry Sawchuk, and nobody calls either of those guys tandem goalies.
None of your links support your initial claim that Lumley was "beat out" by Al Rollins they just support the facts as they happened. Also the data was available before you posted the misleading information.

Worsley still averaged under 60 games per season during that stretch. Sawchuk missed a complete season and a half due to health reasons.

During the same period, Worsley was sent down to the AHL twice and shared time at the start of the 1960-61 season with Jack McCartan.

Also that was not my claim. As a stand alone goalie Gump Worsley managed to play most or parts of 10 seasons in the NHL between trips to the minors - 1953-54,1957-58, 1959-60(including 10 games when Al Rollins was preferred to him). His only success, team or individual was as a tandem goalie in Montreal. Plante and Sawchuk had individual and team success as stand alone goalies.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote