View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
I'd like to know what the real reason is behind the contract length limits, 5 years for new signings, 7 years for re-signing a player. Is it to reduce the player's ability to cash in while they are in their prime? Is it about insuring players contracts? IIRC it's hard to get insurance beyond 7 years on a players contract. On the latter point, I could see the argument.

On the former point, I don't think that the NHL's tactic will work as intended. I just think that the players in their prime will just get larger deals on shorter term, because they were giving volume discounts. ie instead of 13 year $98M for Suter we would have seen a 5 year $55M deal. If Suter can get more than $43M over the next 8, he's still better off.
I think with the back diving deals in place now, NHL is going over the top to fix them.

5% variance should fix that.

Term length, I'm personally for it. Part of it is insurance. Part of it is making sure that the player continues to be motivated. See some deals that teams would like to have back like Gomez, Drury, Redden (NYR guys) and some others. I think this gets settled for 6 years across the board then.

Take Suter for example, if you say he could sign for $55 million over 5 years, then if you remove the backdiving portion of his current 13 year deal, he has 6 years left to make $40 million. Final 2 years at about $3 million total right?

Again, I think it's also about ensuring that all of the salary paid to a player is applied against the salary cap.

Remember Naslund when he signed a 2 year deal with the Rangers. Cap hit was $4.5 million, salary was to be $5 million in yr 1 and $4 million in year 2. He retired after year 1 (under age 35 when he signed). So, the Rangers paid him $5 million, but were only on the hook cap wise for $4.5 million, so that half million was never applied to the cap.

That's also why the NHL is after hidding players like Huet, Redden, Nylander in the minors and getting their salaries applied against the cap. Nucks did that too with some players earning NHL salaries in the minors. Now it's anyone making more than $1 million that will be counted against the salary cap.