View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I thought I heard somewhere that only 2 teams in baseball shared revenue last year. Not true?

I haven't followed baseball for a while now so I'm not sure. But I'll start following next year now that the Jays look like they have a shot
I am not a big baseball fan myself. Most of what I've found it is doing research. It is amazing how much NHL fans just parrot what Gary Bettman says. It is truly amazing. I mean, MLB hasn't had a work stoppage in 17 years! We're on our 3rd and I have no doubt we'll have a 4th when this one gets agreed upon and then expires.

Here is a key piece from a MLB article on how revenue sharing has impacted the league:

Quote:
As of Labor Day, there were 15 teams positioned within 3 1/2 games of a Wild Card spot. More significantly, seven of those teams were in the bottom half of teams ranked by payroll. These include the teams with baseball's two best records (Reds and Nationals), the two teams with the most dramatic turnarounds (Orioles and Athletics), a team that seems to defy gravity every season (Rays) and of course, the Pirates.

It's not possible to draw a straight line between revenue sharing and the ability of smaller market teams to compete, and it remains a touchy subject; a half-dozen executives from teams receiving money from the league chose not to respond to requests to comment for this story.
So at least 6 teams do, maybe more. And the great thing is when you give a team a handout you can demand they spend that money on improving their club, not to pay down debt or simply hold onto the money.

Quote:
These are the sorts of moves that were envisioned when meaningful revenue sharing first became a reality in 2002. That was a step in the right direction, although revisions were made in '07 to encourage the teams receiving money to spend it on improving their teams. The new collective bargaining agreement requires teams to demonstrate specifically how they're spending their revenue-sharing money to improve the big league club.
I just laugh at people who try to suggest Donald Fehr is the problem. Like I said I have never followed baseball closely but I would gladly accept their CBA over anything Gary Bettman could come up with.

The proof is in the pudding: two decades of labor peace or a third straight lockout with two lost seasons?

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote