View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Swarez

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
You do realize that currently there are 30 "billionaires" who already have everything in place in terms of teams, logos, brands, buildings, TV contracts, established fanbases, etc. who aren't willing to employ the players under the conditions that they want, correct? Why on earth would other rich folks who have none of those things put a ton of their personal capital on the line for players whose demands are unreasonable to the current owners who only have to take a small fraction of that financial risk?

If the "if" situation that you proposed came to fruition, that'd be one thing. I will absolutely guarantee you that will never, ever happen for many reasons. The most obvious of which is that the "best players in the world league" would have no players at all once the current crop retired as the jr and minor players who would inevitably replace them would be in the NHL.
There are 29 owners and its something like 10 are billionaires. (according to forbes)
If you brought in replacement players people will not pay the same gate, and the NHL has to know this. I know I wouldn't I don't spend money on Jr hockey or minor hockey, and if those guys came up, no shot I would pay for my ST anymore. Franchise values would drop quite a bit too.

You are going to have NHL teams drawing 3-4K a game with replacement players, people want the best if you are going to charge NHL prices. If there was a prolonged period of replacement players there would be several teams that fold. People barley pay for NHL talent in certain cities, there not going to come out and droves for a 25 year old that was could never make it. Over long haul more and more players (especially the stars) will just go over to KHL since they will pay the top 10-15 guys Millions.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote