View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Being in Halifax, I assume you watch a lot of Portland Winterhawks games?
I've been able to catch a few. I've also tried to stay up with my video research on all the guys being talked about for this year's top ~10. Heck, I even caught both the Michigan Tech/Wisconsin game and the Colorado College/Minnesota back-to-back this weekend, and I'm in none of those places, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
So he's extremely gifted physically and mentally but yet he's on par talent-wise with a Stefan? To me, this smacks of an analysis based more on the fact Jones is the son of a former NBA player than anything else. In other words-not all that well-informed.
It's not that hard, really. Size, athleticism, and safe decision-making are all important skills, of course, but they're also the skills that are less likely to set you apart once part of the NHL pool. So if the execution skills are a bit lacking, you really gotta wonder if he's worth picking over some of the super talent showcasing itself at the forward position this year, that's all I'm saying. It would seem as though he hasn't even been tested as much in a lot of the situational play that some of these forwards are earning a reputation for either (given the Winterhawks' other options for the PP/PK), and I know I'm not alone in saying that I'd like to see a defenseman handle lead duties in most (if not all) of those situations for an extended time before burning a 1st overall pick on him. After all, it wasn't that long ago that Erik Johnson (who was, kind of conversely, size and execution skills without the decision-making or super athleticism) was picked over Staal, Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel, so the "lesson has been learned", so to speak. Obviously he must have had plenty of games where he was more impressive than the ones I've seen, so I'm keen on following him more during the WJC.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 12-09-2012 at 03:52 PM.