View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 02:40 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think that was just the agreement in this case. There are no formal rules for this.

It's even possible the KHL team could decide to screw the player are refuse to terminate the contract, even if they agreed with the player to do it. It's highly unlikely but possible.

I don't think you understood the context the word "greedy" was used. It was only used to describe a situation where the players KHL contract is so rich that the NHL team don't want to match it and then the player is stuck in Russia. It had nothing to do with describing any characteristic of a players personality.
If the out clause is written into the terms of the contract, O'Reilly can take his case to court and force them to honor the deal, but even with all of the talk of shady characters in Russian hockey, I can't see them pulling a stunt like that. The potential backlash wouldn't be worth it.

It's likely that O'Reilly will go the Phil Kessel route to a new NHL club; a team will negotiate a trade contingent upon a deal being reached by O'Reilly's new club. I have a hard time seeing a team hang on to a player in this situation. Whether or not such a scenario emerges again remains to be seen.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote