View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
I guess that's what this whole thing comes down to. High stakes poker game, where each side has to call bluff or fold.

Fehr has done a good job so far, weather as a fan I like it or not.

Fehr basically is calling nhl's bluff
in terms of the hill in which they will die on, being 5 year contract limit and 5% variance.

For the first time, I don't think nhl is bluffing. Time will tell I guess.
Fehr is playing chicken with the Owners, knowing full well some Owners realize they're damaging their own markets and livelihood the longer their self inflicted lockout goes, and a lost season for some markets might mean franchise relocation and permanent unrecoverable revenue loss, as fan apathy is their biggest fear, when trying to fill buildings after this ends.

So agreed Fehr is counting on the Owners continuing to keep coming back to the table and deciding to take back less in their demands with each passing negotiation (a pattern that we have all seen has been occurring). This in Owners hopes of ending their lockout, and Fehr not calling their bluff that they will not risk cancelling the season and suffer the consequences of their own greed long term in their market.