View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 06:16 PM
vadim sharifijanov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
If this is true, we are talking over 20 years ago here. Canada was winning everything under the sun at that time and Europeans weren't generally known as winners in the NHL at that time. I think you have to take that into context, especially at that time. Heck, I've heard Theo Fleury say that if it were up to him he'd want a team of Canadians over anyone else because of their desire to win. Sutter was a competitive guy, as a player I could understand him saying that, especially at a time when there was a little more "us vs. them" way of thinking.
the weird thing is that it's brent sutter, who won cups with persson, jonsson, and especially kallur who was as competitive as anyone.

but yeah, a lot of sutters in hasek's first NA landing spot, on top of having to break in with belfour winning vezinas and jimmy waite getting every benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Well you never know. This was 2005-'06. Social media is starting to explode at this time (if that was a factor). This isn't the 1950s when Mickey Mantle was going all over town knowing it wouldn't get back to his wife, Merlyn. I don't know, I don't live in Edmonton, I live near Toronto and if Mats Sundin bought a toothbrush down the street everyone knew about it so the media here is as powerful as I've ever seen it. Look at Tie Domi and his indiscretions. It was pretty big news then. His wife bled him dry after that. I don't think the city matters. Maybe in New York with upwards of 10 million people, but then again if Michael Douglas got caught in that city in Fatal Attraction.............
you could be right. i have no idea how word got out about pronger's and comrie's infidelities. i will say though that if you compare edmonton to even calgary, what fleury was doing was kept from the headlines for years and years, even though it was by many accounts an open secret and widely known among those covering the team. whereas the alleged oilers cocaine problem was big big news.

with the domi/stronach situation, i thought toronto (where i lived a couple years ago, but for only one year) was a lot like vancouver. players get scrutinized, recognized everywhere, and all that. but in terms of personal lives and infelicities, it has to be a high profile scandal involving someone else firmly in the public eye (domi) or something completely team-dividing (jeff brown, though i guess comrie was that too), i.e., not nearly on the scale as arnott fathering an illegitimate child. a cultural difference, i think, between edmonton and toronto, vancouver, calgary, and montreal.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote