View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Schools II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I dont ever remember St.Mikes having 'A' or even 'B' Teams playing in the THL or MTHL C58. They had the Buzzers (Jr.B) and Majors (Jr.A), while their school teams, Atom through Midget played in a separate all private school league against De La Salle, University of Toronto Schools, Upper Canada College and several others. Equivalent to AA or A by todays designations. Most of these kids also played in the THL/MTHL/GTHL, the North York Hockey League or wherever else as well, as the games they played were usually mid-afternoon on weekdays, very short schedule, in UCC's and a few other cases, outdoors on naturally flooded ice.

As for the AAA "for profit" operator, there was a big stink made about it a couple or three years ago, guys last name was Hyman. Just how he pulled it off Im not sure, but it was in-season & under the jurisdiction of the GTHL. He either co-opted an existing organization, taking it over entirely from Atom to Midget, then sold the sponsorships per team etc, or, he may have created an entirely new organization of his own within the boundaries of Toronto, then entered teams for play in the GTHL. I think it was the former though, that he was picking off well known & long established amateur teams at the AAA level. If you google search GTHL Hyman Controversy bound to get a bunch of hits. Interesting story from what I recall.
Okay. Now I get the school niche in Toronto at that time. Similar to Montreal without the Jr A and B teams. The Montreal private schools played in the GMIAA which governed school sports. Similar shorter season with the players also playing in the various city leagues.

Read some of the Hyman articles. Does not look like the non-profit structure is the same in Ontario. The warning signs should have appeared much earlier.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote