View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
Agree to disagree. I saw the Bruins fall of the map in the late 90's early 2000's as well as coming out of the lockout. During both time periods I routinely purchased 10 dollar tickets at the window minutes before the puck drop. As far as Boston not being a "football town" I think the 10+ year wait list on Patriots season tickets would disagree. Pink hat nation has killed off many of the old time Sox fans and fact is the glory days of the old Boston Garden and the hey day of the Bruins of the 70's and the Celts of the 80's is long gone. Pats rule in Boston now. When it's "cool" the masses cheer for the Sox, Celts and Bruins but everyone cheers for the Pats.
Hilarious, considering those of us who remember the Drew Bledsoe era, and the serious relocation threat that loomed prior to Kraft buying the Pats.

There's an ebb and flow to the sports community in Boston, with exactly one constant: if you don't take the Fans seriously, the Fans return the favor.

One thing people can really fail to apprecoate about New Englanders. We're emotional people, and we want a product with emotional appeal. We don't take well to mercenaries. Play the Boston way, and show a Boston attitude, and we fill your house. Don't, and we don't. Simple as that.

I can talk about "a Boston attitude" and everyone here is probably within 10 degrees or so of knowing what I mean. Brash. Combative. Willing to take on all comers and give as good as you get without measuring the odds. We've always been a town with something to prove in sports, because we always wind up in the same freaking division as the biggest freaking market, usually New York, but you'll notice which division Toronto and Montreal are in in the NHL. So we value teams that go out there with something to prove -- and then prove it. When the Sox show that attitude, everyone calls us a baseball town. When the Celts do, it's a basketball town, Same for football and hockey. The truth is, Boston is a fighting town, and it wants to root for a fighting team. Which sport? Doesn't matter as much as you might think.

It's not pink-hattishness either, although some of that does happen. It's that there's a way Boston likes to present itself in the sports world. Fans reward the teams that present themselves the Boston way. Defiance, passion and fighting spirit matter a lot more than which sport is which here.

Last edited by Dojji*: 12-09-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote