View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 09:27 PM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Kyle Okposo played center his last year at Minnesota, so did Blake Wheeler. Means nothing.

I see Nelson fulfilling a Jordan Staal-esque role in the NHL, not quite a top end offensive player, but good all-around and dependable in every situation. What's wrong with Tavares-Strome-Nelson as strong center depth? Its the most important forward position; all three are natural centers. Strome and Nelson are being groomed as such and are essentially two of the three most important Isles prospects up front along with Niederreiter.

Why would you move Nelson to wing? Leave them at center and build around them.
I still would rather trade Nelson than use him as our 3C or move him to wing. Strome has the higher ceiling/JT connection and Nielsen is already an established 3C and a key part of our PK and SO(as well as being one of our few veterans). Using Nelson and perhaps a 1st as the core of a proposal should be able to net us a quality PMD or 1st line RW.

A guy like Patrick Sharp or Keith Yandle would help put this team over the top, IMO, and I could realistically see either of them getting dealt at some point. Chicago has a ton of payroll tied up between their top guys. Hossa and Keith are virtually untradeable due to contract reasons. Toews and Kane are both homegrown superstars who won't be going anywhere. That leaves Seabrook and Sharp, and trading Seabrook would cripple their defense. If Sharp is moved, you at least still have Kane and Hossa on the wing, as well as top prospects in Saad and Teravainen. Yandle could end up being a trade chip as well, due to the fact that PHX is stocked with high-end NHL ready defensemen and are in need of high quality forwards. Nelson fits a huge need for both teams.

IMO, it all comes down to asset management. Deal from a strength to address a weakness. It just makes too much sense to dangle Nelson's name out there to see what bites.