View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 09:54 PM
du5566*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
It was "before my time" since I wasn't really watching any sports until I had a chance to get out to college. I was strictly a Sox fan back then, and followed baseball on the radio. All I remember specifically is that there was talk of a relocation to I want to say St. Louis before Kraft, Belichick and Brady came to town. I'm not actually sure fan interest was at fault. They had a decent team that had sniffed the Superbowl in I want to say 96, but lost to Favre, but for some reason the team just wasn't stable. I know I wouldn't want to move out of the New England market in favor of St. Louis if everything was smooth sailing

But the Patriots weren't a premium franchise either in terms of the NFL or New England sports before the Tuck Rule Game, that's for danged sure. They were one of the big 4, sure, but for everyone claiming they were always a Patriots fan, somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of them aren't telling the truth
The Patriots have been a quality franchise since the mid 90's. Bill Parcells and an owner who actually cared about the team brought respectability to what had been a laughably, but beloved amungst long time season ticket holders; NFL franchise. The playoff tickets for the 1996 playoff run were some of the hardest to come by in all of my time as a New England sports fan and the fog game against Pitt still ranks up there as one of my all time favorites. That team was very good and had it not been for the Kraft-Parcells rift over personal they would have done great things. In the end it all worked out but my point is the Pats were a strong # 2 in the mid to late 90's behind only the Sox.

Either way the Patriots are now the measuring stick for not only other NFL franchises but all sport franchises. Only the Yankees, Dodgers, Cowboys and Redskins are more profitable in North America. Not bad for a team based out of Foxboro MA.

Last edited by du5566*: 12-09-2012 at 10:09 PM.
du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote