View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 11:10 PM
MeHateHe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
So I'm asking..........I'll list some yes or no questions...............just wondering about protocol as personally I don't have experience with unions. Thanks.

1. If a union member expresses his/her concerns in private to a union rep, does a union rep offer them to the negotiating committee or just ignore them?

2. Is it an acceptable practice for a union rep to listen to ideas of fellow member(s), disagree with them and proceed to share those ideas with others in an effort to demean that individual?

3. Is it possible that an individual who has shared an opinion more than once with either # 1. a player rep and/or # 2. a member of the negotiating committee had reasonable expectations that his/her concerns would be shared respectfully?

4. Under what circumstance(s) is it deemed necessary that a union hold a vote to determine whether or not a CBA will be accepted or not?(not yes or no)

5. Is it customary to at least poll your constituents on certain issues to ascertain the proper direction to serve all constituents?

I'm just wondering the responsibilites of a player / union rep. Again, thanks.
Typically, your union elects a bargaining committee and the bargaining committee then asks the membership to let the committee do its job. It would be really unwieldy to keep going back to the membership or individuals while the bargaining process is under way. My sense is that the conference calls that Fehr has been hosting have been information sessions about the state of the process, rather than specifics about what's being said at the table. However, given the fact that these proposals keep getting leaked, I imagine there is more information in the hands of the membership than would occur in a normal round of bargaining.

It's no different than any other form of representative democracy. You elect guys who will sit on the committee and you have to trust that they will effectively and properly represent your interests. If you don't like the work your representative does, then either A) elect someone else or B) get off your ass and do it yourself.