View Single Post
Old
12-09-2012, 11:22 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Montreals key players were Cammalleri, Plekanec and Gionta (top 3 scorers, only Cammalleri average PPG in the playoffs and the highest in the season was Plekanec with 70.)

Rangers key players - Gaborik, Richards, Callahan. NYR star power is clearly better, not to mention the defense for the Rangers is clearly better.

Now lets look at opposition:

Montreal:
Pittsburgh-Crosby, Malkin, Staal
Washington-Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green (they were a much better team in 2010 than in 2012)

Rangers:
Ottawa - Alfredsson (past prime), Karlsson, Turris(?), Michalek(?) (this doesn't even come close to comparing with Pittsburghs star power)
Washington- Ovechkin (You can't argue he was a shell of himself this year, he played terrible), Backstrom, Semin (These guys weren't as effective without Ovechkin playing his best.

I mean, it's a little ridiculous that you think the Rangers had a harder challenge and had less offensive power than the Canadiens did that year. Also something I haven't mention yet is the Rangers were #1 facing #8, and #7 while Montreal was #8 facing #1, 2. The drop in the standings for Washington should tell you enough about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
The difference is those star players were playing like they should be in 2010, not so much in 2012.

Are you telling me Cammalleri is better than Gaborik or Richards in terms of goal scoring ability?

I don't know why they went 7 games, but Washington was much better in 2010 than they were in 2012 and Pittsburghs 2010 team was much better than Ottawa in 2012, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

I only started talking about this because you were saying that Lundqvist had a better playoffs when I don't think he did. I don't know how Halak would play in the playoffs because he was injured last year playing for St. Louis. I wasn't the one who started this topic but I felt the need to contribute to it. As for NYR vs St. Louis, I haven't said one way or another in this thread and don't really care to make a prediction. I will say, however; that St. Louis won the only meeting last year and seems to play very well against Eastern Conference teams. Playoffs are a completely different story though.
Looking at that Montreal team from this perspective is irrational. Montreal played like a team, it was one of the best team performances I have ever seen.

And while Halak had some outstanding performances against Washington (he also had some lacklustre ones too, game 2 for example), he wasn't the deciding factor against Pittsburgh. In fact, up until game 6, Fleury was outperforming him and the Pens were getting a lot of their goals from the PP, not even strength.

The whole Halak worship thing is ridiculous for that playoffs.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote