Thread: Proposal: Jets - Oilers
View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 12:00 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Just wanted to clear few things, cos 1) I'm bad at communicating and 2) I understand Jets PK woes pretty well

WPG's bad PK is for these reasons:
*the coaching staff didn't use the guys good on the PK
*the few that are good that were used lost lots of man games
*Pavelec 0.912 sv%
*the lack-luster depth last season meant some heavy lifting was given to some terrible guys
Slater < Burmistrov/Little on PK but Slater was used more
Glass < Antropov/Ladd on PK but Glass was used more
Stuart < Hainsey/Clitsome/Byfuglien but Stuart was used more
Bogosian was a heavy lifter but lost lots of man games

A lot of these problems (other than Pavs) would most likely be fixed with the additions of Ponikarovsky and Jokinen.
*Jokinen would be terrible for any defensive minutes, but he pushes Burmistrov down to bottom6 defensive depth, where he seems to actually be fairly elite at.
*Ponikarovsky allows for a construction of a real third line, instead of terrible GST, (Jets use a hybrid of power vs power and shutdown line, unlike EDM that uses power vs power) as he is a solid shutdown 3rd liner to lay with Burmistrov

Petrall being "defensive"
Petrall didn't exactly face top lines. Sure he only had 48.7% of his zone starts in the Dzone but this is no Malhotra in the low teens or Jets' Slater in the 20s. He was sheltered from tough competition and was mostly facing guys like Torres and Stajan.

Can see some player usage using corsi here:
http://www.hockeyanalytics.com/Resea...harts_2012.pdf

If you don't like corsi for competition, look at the ATOI of the guys the players face against (for fun I added WPG):

Petrall wasn't just pulling down Hemsky, RNH and other guys facing tough competitions... I was saying with the WOWY he was pulling down Hordichuk, Eager, Lander, Belanger and those guys...
I was saying though, that it's not unusual to see that in a rookie, and if he is a solid PKer, then he could have some promise as a bottom6 guy.

EDIT: I checked Petrall's PK #s... pretty effing good, specially for first year. He didn't do as well as Ladd or Burmistrov, but beating Smyth is pretty impressive for first year in the NHL (but not first pro year).

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote