View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 02:22 AM
nik jr

vCash: 500
i agree with vadim sharifijanov and big phil here.

i don't think modano was ever at the offensive level of elite offensive F's, and i don't think it was b/c of dallas' style of play. even when games were more open in earlier '90s, modano was not so close to selanne's offensive ability.

i thnk selanne was probably hurt more by his very weak supporting cast than helped by having basically no competition for offensive situations. it certainly hurt him a lot in the playoffs, and in qualifying for the playoffs. i remember selanne in the debate about best player much more than modano.

a player like modano who can score 80p and successfully check the opposition's best unit may be as valuable as a 100p player, and i think modano in dallas was better defensively than sakic and forsberg and yzerman, but i also think playing between the lockouts, under hitchcock, with that defensive support, was more or less an ideal situation for a 2 way C, and that if modano had played for hartford/carolina, for example, he would probably be viewed quite differently.

basically, i think more players could do what modano did in dallas than could do what selanne did in anaheim.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote