Thread: GDT: Lockout Thread II
View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 07:01 AM
jml87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindEnemyLines View Post
Think about the Drew Doughty drama from last year. The kid wouldn't budge..in his own mind he was worth more than the owner/team was offering. If you're an owner with a team on the crest of contending for the cup and your best offensive defensman is threatening not to sign what are you going to do? You don't want to lose him and you know you have a shot of going all the way. Obviously you're going to have to oblige and give him close to what he's asking for.

My point here is the owners aren't solely responsible for the ridiculous contracts. Players ego's and negotiating tactics are to blame here as well.
They aren't solely responsible but at the same time if Doughty had no one to go to to get the money he was asking it wouldn't have been a problem. Kings knew there was another owner out there who would give him the money he wanted. There are also owners giving defensemen more than they are worth which sets the bar for someone like Doughty.

As another example, the Flyers structured Weber's contract in a way that would cripple Nashville management. Then we have guys who take manageable contracts and are subsequently traded because they are much easier to move. For me, this stuff starts with the owners, so I'm more annoyed with them.

The sad part is the Kings and their players really showed how it should be done this offseason. With Quick signing for a reasonable amount and Penner, Stoll, etc., signing for great prices and years. I feel like this is how it should be, but every year it seems like there is one owner who will give a 1 million dollar player 5 million, and it just screws up the whole system.