View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 11:26 AM
MNNumbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
Even if Jobing.com Arena got more events, it may not be enough events to cover all the expenses. Some of the other cities with two arenas have secondary tenants (both Twin Cities arenas do as does HP Pavilion in San Jose). Except for New York (who could probably support three), Los Angeles, and Chicago, I don't think a city can support two large arenas for professional teams. There just aren't enough secondary tenants, circuses, concerts, Harlem Globetrotters, tractor pulls, WWE/MMA, etc, events to go around to two arenas. It's just all bleak.

One thing Jobing.com is probably going to have to do is find a secondary tenant. They had one in the NLL as the Arizona Sting. They lasted four years. The problem, of course, is there aren't many options. US Airways already has the Mercury and Rattlers. Because of the Suns, a NBDL team is unlikely. As long as the Coyotes are there, any minor league ice hockey is not going to happen (it could happen if they do re-locate). There isn't an indoor soccer league big enough for an arena this size. NLL failed once, but perhaps it could succeed again. A minor league arena football team wouldn't need an arena this size. There isn't a college basketball team in the area that would move to it.
Jim,
Please define who the Twin Cities are in your thoughts. I am not wanting to argue. Rather, my bias is Twin Cities = St Paul/Minneapolis. And, I think you have something else in mind.

Thanks.