View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 11:02 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
What's "fair" is the players getting 76% of HRR, that's what they got in a free market system.
You are assuming, of course, that the players would have continued to receive 76% of HRR and while that may be true, who knows what the league would look like today if they continued to receive that amount. It might have been 24 team leage maybe even 18 teams... or it could have been 36 teams.

What we do know is that under the recently expired CBA revenues have soared and so has total player compensation. Again I ask, would that same growth have taken place if 76% of HRR was paid out in players salary. Unfortunately there is no way to prove it one way or the other.

I can't believe that players are actually selectively remembering that they took a roll back but consistently fail to acknowledg that the last CBA was very, very good to them. It was so good that they voted to extend it while at the same time complaining about how they were screwed.

The players could also find that a free market system works for some of them but works against a great many more of them. And in a true free market system, guaranteed contracts could disappear. I don't think the NHLPA wants to go down that road.