View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
To play devils advocate: There would be no jumbotron without the owners.. without the owners these guys would be teachers, bankers, hotel managers etc...
Not necessarily. Team ownership doesn't always equate to ownership of the building. Without the NHL, these guys might be playing overseas, or in the AHL, which could then very well fill the void left by the NHL. Like I said, if you want to be the best, you have to pay to be the best. That's the way business works (with a few exceptions of course).

Quote:
You have to draw the line somewhere - Set the cap: 50 million, 70 million, 90 million? You can keep saying that these guys only get a few years to make their money, but at what point does it become excessive? You could also say that owners should be capable of spending money and not needing a cap. I could also say that the haves would outspend the have nots and hurt competitive balance/the league. I could also say that the average fan will be shelling out more and more.. I guess the whole argument is moot...

There is plenty of money there. They both need each other. I'm tired of the nonsense - 50/50 split and let's go.
I certainly agree with you for the most part. I'm not taking the players side, I'm simply saying that people are a little over-the-top with their assessment of their position.