View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 02:26 PM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
You make good points! I think the thing that Russian kids fear most is getting stuck in the AHL. The AHL plays more of a mucking and grinding style than the NHL itself, and that is not consistent with the skills that most Russian kids have developed. Somebody posted an article showing that Nugent-Hopkins makes about $65,000 in the AHL. Russian kids know that they can make 10 times that much or more, more or less tax-free, in the KHL. The Russian kids and their agents want to sign one-way contracts, and NHL clubs often aren't willing to do that. Also, the style of play in the KHL is the same as the kids grew up on.
The thing is, as a GM I would want my high end Russian prospects to play in the KHL over the AHL. There are a number of reasons, its a better league for players with the typical "russian skillset" to play in and develop, they're also closer to family and friends, not as much of a culture shock. If they will be an offensive force Id rather they play the KHL game.

The problem is the KHL and NHL haven't been able to come up with a good transfer agreement. Team's fear that if they send a prospect like Kuznetsov over to the KHL they may never return. They also know that they can't monitor the development to the same degree... ie ensure they are getting adequate playing time etc. because the KHL is not a "minor league" and the focus is on winning.

If the two leagues could come up with a solid transfer agreement process I think youd see alot more young talent in the KHL, it would probably help the development of both leagues.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote