View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

Pitchers: Chad Jenkins, Deck McGuire maybe, Carreno if/when he's ready after being hit in the face recently... Honestly, you've got me at this point, it's a lot harder to predict what they might want to do with pitchers. Justin Germano is in there somewhere, but he's a reliever. Loup would be here if he ends up being squeezed out at the MLB level. Jeffress would be too if he doesn't make the MLB cut and clears waivers. the Bisons are also allowed to sign and field their own players to fill holes that can't be by players within the Jays' org.
Can't forget about Vargas. Will probably be the vet down there... possibility for callup. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dyson in AAA as well... but more likely as a reliever. I will bet Stroman when he's done his suspy will start in NH but could fast tracked to Buffalo as well.

Quote:
You've basically described 90% of bullpen pitchers ever. Rivera-type guys who have long, distinguished, consistent careers are a rare breed. Most relievers end up having short or journeyman careers. Whether it's because of injury or just because a guy gets figured out, the bullpen is always super volatile and that's the reason that it's usually foolish to spend big money there when you can use it elsewhere instead.
This.

And on top of this... I don't think we'll ever see a Mariano Rivera type for another couple of decades. And I mean this in the sense that he's a lifelong dominant closer etc.

Seems today the trend is to take anybody who has early success as a BP arm and convert them. Bard, Feliz and now Chapman come to mind. Guys like this are dominating early and teams want to make them rotation arms. I think the jury is still out on whether or not this actually works.