View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu
I think both sides had gone farther than their original position, or certainly farther than the hawkish sides within would agree to.

I made the point elsewhere that this may be a case where there are more than just two factions, especially on the owners side where that had been reported (no one side has a clear majority). It's like trying to build a coalition government.

To expand, the things each side needs from the other to close that deal lead away from the compromises or trade-offs needed to get support from the other faction.
I would actually think the opposite. I think on the owners side you have 2 groups. Those that want/need something very specific out of the CBA and will only play once that's achieved aka hardliners. And those that want/need something better, but also want to play and do not want to lose any games (or the least amount possible) - aka moderates. There might be a couple in the group that will play under almost any circumstance (such as the last CBA), but I don't think there's many there (less than 2-3 - if that).

On the players side you're likely going to have multiple fractions.
-The hardliners who don't want to give up anything.
-The guys who want to play and will accept almost any deal.
-The guys who will allow some acceptable change, but want to play.
-Then there are the guys who in their heart are in one group, yet financially are somewhat forced into another group.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."

Last edited by mouser: 12-10-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: qep
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote