View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
hyster110

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
It's very difficult to check the alignment of an already sharpened skate. That is completely untrue about the sharpness... You do not have to readjust the hollow just because someone doesn't want their skates are sharp. If you don't believe the amount of passes has anything to do with the depth if the hollow I suggest you do a skate with 1 or 2 passes and another with 7 or 8 and try skating and then try and tell me there is no difference. That is absurd.
it is quite easy to check the alignment, it can even be done with a quarter. your description of your sharpening technique tell me that your not giving your customers a true edge. if you start from a flat blade, as you say you do) then the edges your giving your customers a proper sharpening. that is if you follow your only 5 pass or so rule. this is not a true hollow cause you have not established a proper hollow depth if you continue to make passes and its getting deeper with each successive pass, a true hollow should grind the whole blade and not made the radius deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I understand that's exactly what you do... That's why I said it. Sometimes there are huge adjustments. Sometimes blades are bent. There are several reasons why there would be huge adjustments.

Cross grinding has a minimal effect on how much blade you're taking off and ensures you will be starting with a clean, fresh canvas. And like I said, cross grinding every sharpen is the standard procedure in the largest hockey market in the world for that exact reason
cross grinding has lots of effect, it needlessly takes off steel that doesnt need to be removed. when your sharpening at "true" hollows, the amount of steel you remove with each sharpening makes a difference. the life of the blades shortens considerable. and i have witnessed it.

Last edited by hyster110: 12-10-2012 at 04:32 PM.
hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote