View Single Post
Old
05-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Hey I think Ribs has alot of faults, just like you guys. The difference is that you guys don't see any potential in him. I think he's better suited for an offensive role than any of our other centers (other than Koivu of course). However, if we could get a better center who isn't sooooo overpaid, then I'm all for it. I just don't understand why ppl bash him so much when he's obviously our 2nd best offensive center.
OK, let's clear the air. For the time being he is the undisputed #2 offensive center. His detractors (myself included) would like to see a new face who could do a still better job. Ideally, his replacement would be bigger, skate better, shoot better, win more faceoffs, and be a righthanded shot. In a perfect world, that player would be in his early 20s, command a lower salary than Koivu's, and relegate Koivu to the 2nd line. Above all, the replacement would show up in the playoffs.

In the NHL real world, most people would settle for any kind of upgrade in production over Ribeiro's (most of all in the playoffs) even if the replacement has blemishes. What makes the whole subject so contentious over and beyond his achievements (or lack thereof) is that some posters romanticize Ribeiro, some posters are pissed off at his behavior and attitude, and some people see criticism of Ribeiro mainly as an affront to their heritage.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote