Old
12-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Why one of those two?

I've been touting this opinion for a little while now, but I believe Martin is the best of the three.

I also believe that if we swing at a goaltender we should do so in the 3rd and later. Or keep our tradition with grabbing NCAA guys, or *gasp* possibly a European netminder. The fact they get that extra development time, over CHL guys, I believe is key.
European goalies do not get "extra development" time over CHL goalies. I believe you are referring to the fact that CHL goalies must be signed in two years versus four years for NCAA. Players out of Europe must be signed within two years as well or all rights are lost.

With the notable exception of Russian players, which due to the lack of transfer agreement, until there is a transfer agreement Russian players have their rights protected indefinitely. But there are many hurdles to overcome there, making it very hard to ever get players out of Russia, unless they come over almost immediately. For example the Kings draft Prokhorkin with the understanding that he would come over immediately...and had him for 8 AHL games only to find he has a valid KHL until 2015. Now the question is will they EVER get him back. You gotta be pretty sure you can get Russians over, in most cases that means really soon, before you draft them.