View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 06:22 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Great, YOU would tell the genie "no". Obviously, there are plenty of people who would tell that Genie "yes". We know this because of the people who choose to take those physical risks in order to get a chance at the kind of money and lifestyle that the players who make the NHL get to live. Heck, I won't even try to include the millions of people who take those same risks regularly just to play the game for fun without any hope of any kind of financial compensation.

By the way, your analogy is quite incomplete and disingenuous. You should have written:

If a genie popped out of a bottle, and told me he could eliminate half my body fat, give me an additional 10 lbs of muscle, make me more flexible, and get me a career where I will make millions of dollars, live a terrific lifestyle where I am famous and get all of my amenities paid for, all the while playing a game I love and would play for free (actually paying for the ice time needed to play) at the expense of a severe concussion (at least one of which I have suffered while playing for fun), I would say "xxx".

Come on, at least make the comparison fair.

I have to say, if I had the talent to play in the NHL or the NFL, even knowing all I do about the dangers and risks associated with it, I would do it in a heartbeat. I already play sports for the sheer love of the game right now and have suffered multiple injuries throughout my lifetime having done so. To be able to play for one of the best teams in the world, hopefully my favourite team, and to reap in millions while doing it would be the best bonus I could ever imagine.

Finally: people take health risks with their careers all the time. Professional athletes are not the only ones who do so. They are the only ones who get wildly financially compensated for it, though.
I know that a lot of people take health risks. However it is brought up because Kriss E was arguing players are blessed to have the opportunity of amazing health. I merely point out that he is completely wrong, as players do not, on the whole, benefit from amazing health. It's 1 step forward and 2 steps back. The fact other lines of work have even worse problems is besides the point.

Saying that professional athletes have great health as a job benefit is equivalent to saying drug-addicted and bony catwalk models benefit from having sexy bodies. It is a flawed argument on multiple levels.

For me, the argument that players are the beneficiaries of amazing health is right up there (or should I say down there) with the argument that players take zero risks, that players are responsible for the lockout, or that Donald Fehr is the reason the Expos left Montreal.

Last edited by DAChampion: 12-10-2012 at 06:29 PM.